Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Garfield Co.


Garfield Co. County Courthouse
Jordan, MT Pop. in 2000 - 1,279 Est. 1919
Pulled into Jordan as the sun set. The 70 miles between Circle and Jordan was scenic in the light of the evening sun, and true to the Petroleum Co. Sheriffs officers warning, the deer along the road were plentiful. I found an RV park, paid $8 for a space that included a shower. Pitched my tent and got my bedroll set up. I knew I would have to have a shot and beer to get the road dust off and I walked up town to the Ranch Bar. I try to pick places that have a few trucks outside VS no trucks. As I strolled in, the entire population of the bar stopped talking and stared. I nodded and said," I can lick any woman in the house" The folks seemed to like that, and after the keep said "what'l ya have, it's on the house" I knew I was in for a good time.
I sat at the bar counter, ordered a toaster oven pizza, and struck up a conversation with two brothers who were waiting for a 3rd due in from Michigan. A little while later a man with a CAT hat (as in Caterpillar equipment) joined us to find out a little more about we three strangers. I asked him if he operated a CAT and he said he was part of county road crew, so "yeah, I'm married to a roadgrader." I mentioned the old joke about the only reason people wanted to be elected to County Commissioner where I grew up was to get the road paved to their farm or ranch. "Not in Garfield" he said, "Once you leave Hiway 200, there are no paved roads." Not quite true. There's a little piece of Hiway 245 leading out towards the Charles M. Russell Wildlife Refuge. It gives tourists and out of area hunters a false sense of security that it'll be an easy drive to get into some of the finest hunting and fishing spots in Montana. Once you hit the red rock gravel road portion of 245, you'll be cursing your tire dealer for not selling you at least 6 ply tires, and reason satellite phones exist. Around 8:30 PM a couple of women came in the back door lugging speakers for a karaoke system. By 9:30 the Ranch Bar was hopping with a new group of young cowboys and their gals. I sang a few tunes, and left at 11:30 tuned up and ready for my way too thin sleeping pad. A magic night by Jordan standards.
The old court house had burned down a few years back, and was now housed in the old hospital building. Another Jordan claim to fame was that Ernest Hemingway's brother had practiced medicine for a while in Jordan. I was on the road the next morning by 6 and headed to Circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment